2012 Pittsburgh Pirates Calendar Contest : 20?
I was working on a blog entry, but I am not going to be able to get it done before midnight, so I’m instead going to put it off until another day and off up a quick contest for a Pittsburgh Pirates 2012 Wall Calendar.
The Calendar will run you $9.99 on ebay, but you can get it free by winning this contest.
The month by month breakdown:
Each day features the Pirates game that day, as well as the promotional item. Truly awesome. Mine is hanging directly to the right of my computer screen.
The last time I did a similar contest, NYBisons won a Nick Markakis shirt.
To win, it’s simple:
Get the most points. You earn points by answer questions correctly. I’ll ask 20 Pirates questions. I won’t post them all at once though – that way you’ll have to keep checking back, and it will give other readers who aren’t up at 11:55PM a chance to answer questions tomorrow as they are posted.
Since most people check my blogs at different times of the day, I decided that it’s only fair to leave the contest open for at least 12 hours. Throughout the next 12-24 hours, I’ll post quick questions from my phone and compile standings from time to time.
Whoever answers correctly first wins. You must comment on this blog to enter. When you answer a question, you MUST put the question number with your answer.
For example: 11. What is the baseball team located in Pittsburgh? You MUST answer: 11. Pittsburgh Pirates
If you don’t put the question number, then people’s responses will get all jumbled and make it harder for me to sort through to find who’s first.
You may think you’ve answered first, but maybe not – because sometimes I have to approve new commenters’ comments. So, a new commenter may answer a question at 5:13pm, and you answer one at 5:14pm – the blog will show you as the first commenter until I approve the other person’s comment. At that time, the blog will show the comments in the correct order – with the new commenter winning the question if correct.
Sound confusing? Hopefully not. You may want to look at the comments so you don’t waste your time with duplicate answers because whoever is first obviously would get the point. Check the Markakis shirt blog to see how that went down.
Here’s your questions:
1) This Pittsburgh Pirate graced the cover of Sports Illustrated on March 20, 1978.
Clint Hurdle – NY Bisons
2) The players involved in this trade thought it was an April Fools Day joke, as they were called into the managers office on April 1st to hear that they had been traded. What Pirates player, who had been an All Star in the previous three years, was traded on April Fools Day?
Tony Pena- NY Bisons
3) What animated video plays on the PNC Park scoreboard prior to the Pirates’ lineup being announced?
Pirate ship video firing upon and sinking other teams’ ships – NY Bisons
4) Where in PNC Park is the ‘Jolly Roger’ raised after a home win?
Behind CF, above cameras by bullpen. Philadelphia 45
5) PNC Park features five statues of Pittsburgh Pirates Players. Only one is on the inside of PNC Park (doesn’t include Negro League players) – who is that statue dedicated to? Hint: Left Field.
Ralph Kiner’s hands – NY Bisons
6) On last year’s Pirates calendar, given away at Piratefest, what was the featured photo for the month of December 2011?
Pirate Parrot in a Christmas suit – Philadelphia45
7) Which Pirates manager once stole a base while managing a game but wasn’t on the team’s active 25 man roster?
Lloyd McClendon -NYBisons
8) Former ballhawk Andrew McDonald interfered with a batted ball on the right field wall in 2009. The ball was originally ruled a home run before the umpiring crew listened to John Russell’s appeal, got together, and reversed the call to be a ground rule double. The play led to instant replay being instituted 2 months later. Who hit the ball? Mark Reynolds, NYBisons
9) What are the names of the FIVE pierogies that race at PNC Park? Jalapeño Hannah, Cheese Chester, Sauerkraut Saul, Potato Pete and Oliver Onion. Philadelphia 45
10) What are the lyrics to the cheesy hot dog song that played prior to the shooting of hot dogs at PNC Park? Hint- Finish the final lyric: It’s time to catch some hot dogs…
and catch yourself some meat – Philadelphia45
11) What is the name of the PNC Park ballpark host?
Joe Klimchak – NY Bisons
12) If a fan answers the trivia question correct in the 5th inning they win a jacket or they can trade it for what?
A surprise in a treasure chest – Philadelphia45
13) What is the last row of the upper deck at pnc park? (letters)
14) Former owner Kevin McClatchy once switched his seat directly behind Home plate with a fab in the upper deck during a game. Why did he switch seats?
A fan held up a sign “Hey McClatchy, want to switch seats?” -Philadelphia45
15) The Pirates give all fans a free program as they enter the gates. What is the name of that publication?
First Pitch – Philadelphia45
16) The restaurant now known as the Hall of Fame Club used to be what restaurant?
Outback Steakhouse – NY Bisons
17) The Pirates track their home runs on a sign on the right field wall in foul territory. What is the phrase on the sign?
Bucco Blasts – Philadelphia45
18) What PNC park food stand sells hot dogs, popcorn, and small drinks for $1?
19) Who was the last Pirate to be voted in to start an All Star game?
Jason Bay 2006 -NYBisons
20) This Pirate player, nicknamed “Boy,” was my brother’s favorite player.
Jose “Chico” Lind. -Philadelphia45
It’s NYBisons 9
Congratulations to Philadelphia45 on the hard fought victory! (Check your email)
There’s only 15 more days until Opening Day, and you have until Sunday to win the David Wright shirt.